First time I heard about MCM was in 2011. It wasn’t difficult to find SQL MCM information and most helpfully, there was a link to SQL Server 2008 MCM readiness videos and a wonderful list of recommended books. I went through these books and I can confirm that every single book on this list is a gem. I would recommend this list to everyone. Even if you don’t have time to read all 18 books, try one at a time – It will help, I promise.
The original list seems to be removed from Microsoft’s website. I hereby list them with 3 SQL Server 2012 exam training kits for MCSE exams. They are (once again) extremely helpful although some might seem outdated
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals
- Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Querying
- Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Programming
- Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting
- SQL Server 2005 Practical Troubleshooting: The Database Engine
- SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
- Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering
- Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
- Expert SQL Server 2005 Development
- SQL Server MVP Deep Dives
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management and Administration
- Pro SQL Server 2008 XML
- Pro SQL Server 2008 Service Broker
- Pro SQL Server 2005 Assemblies
- Defensive Database Programming with SQL Server
- SQL Antipatterns: Avoiding the Pitfalls of Database Programming
- A Developer’s Guide to SQL Server 2005
- SECURING SQL SERVER Protecting Your Database from Attackers
- Exam 70-461 Training Kit
- Exam 70-462 Training Kit
- Exam 70-463 Training Kit
If you finish all these books, you probably should take a look at another listed from SQLSkills.com: SQLSkills Further Reading List.
About Readiness Videos I have gotten only one suggestion: download all videos and put them into your own own pocket before they are gone! Aaron Nelson shared a PowerShell script that downloads all videos @ http://sqlvariant.com/powershell-script-to-download-sql-mcm-videos/, go check it out!
It’s also worth mentioning 70-462 training kit provides detailed steps of creating practical environment including AD server and SQL servers. It’s excellent option to build your own sandbox.
Master exam was difficult, even with my wife’s full support. We constantly had to struggle between family, work and study. The point is: if I can do it, everyone else can. Just don’t stop learning, your knowledge will reward you in its own way.